Thursday, January 5, 2012

Write about a day moon

We were on Popi's boat. Popi is my father. When my children were born we came up with that name for him. It suits him well.

Anyway, we were on Popi's boat on a beautiful day in December. South Carolina for New Year's Eve and we were on a boat. No snow. No wind. Nothing but sunshine and salt water. Awesome does not even begin to describe the day.

As we were speeding along toward Dufuskie Island on our way to a lovely outdoor bar and grill for some shrimp and hotdogs, the three little girls were watching the wake off the back of the boat. By three little girls, I mean my two daughters and my niece. Lina and Maggie are mine and they are 6 and 8 with brown hair, brown eyes and brown skin. Olivia is my brother's daughter. She is 5 with white blond hair, blue eyes and fair skin. My dad like to stand them next to each other with Olivia in the middle and call them his Oreo cookie.

So, they are watching the wake and Lina looks up and yells, "Look at the moon!" I glance behind me and see a lovely grayish white quarter moon neatly pressed into the clear blue sky. I don't give a lot of thought to daylight moons because I took astronomy and understand that it's a reflection. But these little girls were fascinated. Maggie exclaims in wonder, "We are going so fast we are in the night and the day doesn't even know it!" Olivia looks at her confused but then nods her head because she didn't have a better idea.

It made me think about how when we get older we lose our little person. We get so much knowledge that we cloud our imagination. Since I knew why I could see the moon I didn't stop to think of a great story about the moon. Sometimes my mind gets so clogged with useless information that I get a backlog of imagination. Like in your sink when there is too much hair or grease in there. The water pools and has no place to go. My imagination pools and has no place to go and becomes stagnant. How very sad that is.

That's why I have decided to start writing again. This writing exercise is like the draino to my clogged imagination. But 30 minutes with a clogged imagination can be a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment